Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Quick Update

I know it’s been awhile since I last posted, not a whole lot has been going on lately. Last week the day before I left for Florida the van started making a funny noise so we dropped it off at the shop, and the engine is shot so now we have to replace the whole thing. A friend of ours is letting us borrow her van until we can get ours fixed this weekend. Thank God for her; because the day that I was told that my cancer had relapsed the heads blew in Rick’s car (which we never fixed, because we were just using the van).

Anyways I had a really good time in Florida; I enjoyed spending time with my friend and her family. (Although after the second day I really started missing my family). We did go to a hotel to stay on the beach, but it was so cold, and the wind was blowing so hard that her little girl kept saying, “Ouch, Ouch, Ouch” because the wind was blowing the sand into her little legs. So we stayed for one night because it was warmer where Ange lives. But no joke it was in the 50’s and 60’s until the last day I was there, by then I was sick and didn’t really feel like going to the beach. I wanted to mind you, but I woke up and was so dizzy that I couldn’t even get off of the bed. Every time I got up to walk or sat down the room was spinning. But we did make several trips to the beach and even with my issues I had a really good time. Flying on the other hand was another story… I HATE FLYING!!

I received a call from Jay (BMT Coordinator) while I was in Florida; he stated that the donor hospital never submitted the paperwork for the clinical trial so I was denied for that reason. So now I’m having a mismatched unrelated Bone marrow transplant, and my treatment protocol has changed. So instead of five to seven days of chemo and a couple of days of radiation, I will have two days of chemo, one day of rest, and four days of radiation. The radiation is a treat, because I will have three sessions of radiation a day for 45min – 1hour each session. So I didn’t have to go into the hospital on Monday, I have to go in on Friday the 13th, (Jay said I hope you’re not superstitious) which I’m not, but I don’t think that my husband was happy about it. Then my transplant will take place on Friday the 20th.

Jay wanted me to come in last Friday after my trip, to sign the papers for the transplant, after I got fitted for radiation. The nurse came out and said, “Oh by the way Jay wants me to do a workup on you while you are here.” So she had to stick me two times just to get blood, and she had to hold the needle in a weird position so it was really quite painful, and she had to draw five tubes of blood. When Jay came in I told him about the dizziness, and they looked in my ears and said that I did not have an ear infection, and nothing else is wrong with me, so they think that I have Vertigo (Chemo induced) but almost a week later it hasn’t gotten much better. But they are going to look into the cause more when I get into the hospital.

My sister’s friend is going to loan me her laptop while I’m in the hospital so that when I feel up to it I can post from my room. Hopefully everything will go well over the next few weeks, and months. I really just want to get this over with, and get back to normal as quick as possible.

2 comments:

Irish Eyes said...

I hope that it all goes quickly for you, too. You are so brave! Being dizzy must be a total drag, I hope that passes, too. Praying for you, sharon

hockeychic said...

Glad to read your update. Wishing you well with all that is to come. I hope the vertigo goes away.