Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Still Waiting

Not too much has been going on this week still recuperating from chemo, and my most recent hospital stay. I called Jay from the BMT clinic and he stated that they will call me to set up my appointments for my pulmonary function test, my Cat-Scan and other tests. He stated that we were still a few weeks away from the bone marrow transplant.

I think that my appetite has finally returned I’ve gained two pounds a day for the past three days… I’m not even going to stress about it I know that I will lose a ton of weight when I go through the Bone Marrow Transplant.

I received two hospital bills last Saturday that totaled over $132,000.00. My three day stay with the collapsed lung cost me over $25,000.00, and my insurance still hasn’t paid anything on my first hospital stay so I received a nice letter from the hospital stating that if they did not pay anything in the next two weeks that I would be responsible for over $107,000.00 (for a 25 day stay). So now I have to deal with an insurance company (who is no longer my provider). I’m glad that I have nothing better to do than to deal with the insurance company…

I had my final interview with Social Security this week; I was approved for one year Thank God. It will be quite a lot less than I made at my job, but yet still a huge burden lifted. I was afraid that we would end up losing our house.

Now I just have to get Rick familiar with paying all of our bills, because quite honestly I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to do. Just regular Chemo makes it hard to keep up with bills, and household things I can’t imagine how things will be going through a Bone Marrow Transplant.

Rick and the kids like having me home for a change, they get a nice breakfast each morning. Before I was off from work we would sit down to the dinner table Saturday, Sunday, and Monday only, but now they get dinner practically every day. The laundry stays caught up through the week, I like staying at home. I’m going to dread going back to work. (Even though it’s going to be at LEAST a year before that happens).

I will officially be terminated from my job on March 8th and I have to say I’m not that upset about it. I’ve worked at that job for 10 years, and I know more about roaches, rats, mice, millipedes, centipedes, silverfish, termites, and bed bugs than I honestly ever wanted to know… Plus working in a building where they keep all of those pesticides really bothered me especially having AML (which has been linked to pesticides). Oh plus seeing all the people that I’ve worked with over the years fight cancers and brain tumors. We’ve had at least four other people with cancer, and one person with brain tumors. That’s just at a small location, and in my opinion that’s way more that a coincidence. So like I said I’m just not that upset about it. A little nervous about looking for a new job in a year or two and trying to explain why I haven’t worked/my medical issues??? I know that they legally cannot ask me about it, but still it’s going to be there. I’m the type of person who does not have anything to hide if you ask me a direct question; I’ll tell you the truth. I’ve got some time to think about it, so I’m not going to stress about it yet.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

I'm just amazed at your strength and courage. I'm very sorry for all of the added financial stress that you have. I pray to God to bring you relief. Thank you for uplifting my soul with your courage. God Bless and Prayers,
Beverly