Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Hospital day 23

Well I was down here this morning and had just started a post when my nurse tracked me down to give me my pre-meds and to tell me to head back to my room for more platelets, which in the end was a good thing, because at 6am I had a really, really bad bloody nose, and by the time I got back to my room the nose bleed started again, and didn’t stop until 11am.

Two days ago they had started me on a clear liquid diet, and I was able to tolerate that well, so today I was put on a liquid diet, the first meal I had some discomfort, but after some rest and then dinner I’ve been able to get it down without pain, and keep it down.

They did a blood gas on my wrist the other day, and now on top of my arm there is swelling and a lot of pain. So they are getting ready to do an ultra-sound to see what the problem is, I can’t even pick up a glass of water with that hand.

After my platelet transfusion this morning I was on the phone with Rick, and three nurses (who have never taken care of me) came right into my room and started looking around, I hung up to phone to see what they wanted, and they said that they have had a lot of patients check out recently and they were the moving crew, there to move me to block A (where they were moving all of the patients). Then they started opening up the closet (where all of my personal effects, and papers are at) they pissed me off. They said oh you don’t have to do anything we’ll move you, “I said oh no you won’t, you can go get me some bags and I will pack my own stuff up.” They were like, are you sure? I said, Yes. So I kicked them all out until I was ready to go. The reason they gave was 1. I was all the way at the end of C block all by myself, and they were going to move everyone close together so that they could help each other out. Yeah right. I’ve had to call over and over for the same things all day, and way more than once my nurse would leave my room to go get something and (NO LIE) would not be back for 2 hours. I’ll be complaining to night shift, and the doctors tomorrow morning. More than once today a whole group of nurses were standing outside my door gossiping in the hallway for half an hour at a time.

Ange and her family made it here ok, she has already been up to see me three times. She took Ricky, Breanna, and her little girl to Chuck E Cheese today for their Christmas gift. They had a blast, they were all asleep before they even hit the interstate. The weather this week has been horrible, icy roads, freezing cold you name it.

My cousins baby Marco had another bone marrow biopsy done to make sure that he is still Leukemia free, and he had some blasts so he has to go through the induction phase again. Although they are going to show Ashley how to administer the chemo and have her give it to him at home??? I’ve never heard of that. She is pretty nervous, but she went to the hospital today and they showed her how to do it, and tomorrow a home health care worker is going to walk her through it again. So she should be alright.

I’ll be here for Christmas, and maybe even New Years, my counts just started coming up yesterday, but that antibiotic regimen that they started me on for the bowel obstruction is a 10 day regimen.

I finally got word from our insurance companies, they agreed to pay for my treatment, and have already pre-approved me for my bone marrow transplant. So a weight has been lifted there.

Thank you for keeping us in your prayers.

1 comment:

BaldyLocks said...

I'm so glad you don't have the insurance thing to worry about anymore. I hope things go smoothly in the hospital and your next few days are filled with as much Christmas joy as possible.

Lots of love...