Thursday, December 11, 2008

Day 11 in the hospital

My blood counts yesterday were:
WB: 0.5
RB: 7.1
Platelets: 10

So that earned me one bag of platelets, and two units of blood. So I feel much better today than I have in awhile. I still run out of breath quite easily, but all in all I’m doing fine.

Rick is bringing the kids up to see me tonight; I’m pretty excited about that. It gets real lonely up here.

They have me scheduled for a bone marrow biopsy tomorrow morning, I just got over the pain and discomfort from the one in November. So I’m not looking forward to this one.

My nurse (Katie) came to see me yesterday and notified me that my sister was not a match. So they are going to put me on the bone marrow registry list to look for a possible match. The longer this goes on the more nervous I get. I’m really not looking forward to this at all.

Just a side note two people that I have been following recently have both passed this week, please stop by their blogs to offer support to their friends and families. The first one is Derrick Dull his blog address: http://djdully.blogspot.com/ , and the next one is Erica Murray her blog address: http://ericamurray.blogspot.com/ . I’m sure their families would really appreciate your words of support.

4 comments:

hockeychic said...

I've been reading your blog for awhile now and just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you. I hope they find a match on the bone marrow registry sooner than soon. I registered after reading Adrian's blog and am encouraging everyone I know to get on the list.

Hang in there. Sending you strength and healing thoughts.

Irish Eyes said...

I am so sorry you are lonely in your room. :( I am praying for you and your family. Our (almost) daughter in law found out she has SLE Lupus and sjorgens disease. She is rejecting her own organs. She will be having chemo to get rid of all her white cells and other treatments from there. She had ALL as a teen. I am so heartbroken for those who are going through this awful stuff.
Much love to you and yours,
be strong!
hugs
sharon

BaldyLocks said...

Hey you! It's so nice to see you posting! I hope the visit with your kids went well, the photo of them a few posts back is so nice. What a beautiful family you have.

I'm so sorry your sister wasn't a match for you and I'm so glad for you that your insurance is all in order. What a rollercoaster ride you are on right now. I know how scary that all is so I want to tell you about the one person I knew who had a BMT.

I was 17 when a family friend went through leukemia and a bone marrow transplant. He didn't have a sibling match so they went to the registry and found a donor for him in England! He had a little GVHD after and then proceeded to get better. It's been about 18 years or so since then. He is living life just like he was before.

I also met an amazing woman when I was staying at the Cancer Lodge. It had been 15 years since her BMT and she had fatigue for a while after, like me, but she is one of the most amazing energetic people I've ever met. She went on to kick A** in her career and life.

Sending strength to you. Just imagine how relieved you'll feel when they find you your match. There are thousands and thousands of people on this Earth waiting for the call. Someone out there is waiting to be your donor.

Sleep well.

One Mother with Cancer said...

I appreciate all of your comments, thank you so much.