Thursday, November 20, 2008

Waiting...Waiting...Waiting...

Marco


Other than being diagnosed with cancer… the waiting is excruciating. I’ve still got four days left until I go back to the doctor’s for more blood work/bone marrow biopsy. Last week was very, very rough… I couldn’t sleep for days; I’d fall asleep and be wide awake 20 minutes later. I finally got past the extreme anxiety and then I slept for days. So this week has been a lot better, although I still here Dr. Cripe saying, “This doesn’t look good, make sure you bring your husband to your next appointment.”

In the meantime, I’ve been packing up my desk at work just in case. I’ve went home early several days this week. Actually I called my region manager on Monday and asked him to send one of the girls from the other office over to help me out this week. I’ve felt light headed and was nervous that I would pass out, and being here by myself that wasn’t a very comforting thought. So he sent someone over to help me out this week, which has been a Godsend. Then he called me right back and asked me how I was feeling, and that if I needed to that I could just go home, as a matter of fact he told me that I could go home for this entire week, and he would make sure that I still got paid. Tempting as that was, I don’t think that I’d feel right doing that, what if my blood work and bone marrow biopsy comes back just fine next week, then how would that make me look??

My mother called me yesterday afternoon, and said that my cousin had called her and asked if she could take her and her son out to the emergency room. So my mom went over to pick them up, the second she saw Marco she told Ashley you make sure that you tell that doctor that there is Leukemia in the family. (My mother has a cousin that has Leukemia, and of course there’s me). She said that his skin tone was yellow, and his mouth and nose were white. She said that one look at him and it was like looking at me three years ago. So they took him out to the hospital, when they drew his blood, my mom said that he never moved, never cried or anything. They came back and said that he had a low red blood count. So they drew his blood again for further testing, and they told my cousin that it was one of three things:

1. He was anemic, in which case they would give him iron pills to correct.
2. He has Leukemia or
3. He has Lymphoma, in which case she would have to bring him right back out to the hospital.

So they sent them home while they waited for the results, and told her that they would call her within two hours to let her know what was going on. Two hours later Ashley called the hospital, because she still hadn’t heard anything. They told her that they were waiting on another test which would take an additional two hours. FINALLY, they called her back; she called my mom in hysterics, crying… He was diagnosed with Leukemia. They had to take him out to Riley’s Children’s Hospital last night at 10:30 pm they gave him a blood transfusion last night, and another one this morning, and they did a bone marrow biopsy this morning to determine what type of Leukemia he has. So please keep little four year old Marco in your prayers. His family definitely needs it.

6 comments:

Susan C said...

Your mother was so astute to pick up on Marcos's coloring. She sounds like a rock - there for so many people in your family.

I've always thought that there's only one thing worse than having cancer, and that's having a child with cancer. We feel all of their pain, physically and emotionally, so intensely. I'll think good thoughts for Marcos and for you. D*** this waiting!

Kristy's Daughter said...

You are in my prayers.
I recently found your blog and I now check it daily. Your comments on my parents' blog have been very comforting to me. Even though I don't know you, I appreciate you and the care you have shown for my family. You are in my prayers now and will be even more so on the
24th.
--Julie

Irish Eyes said...

Praying for little Marco.. and you. Hang in there, lots of love, sharon

Barbara said...

Hello, I've just come across your blog and have just read your last few entries. I find myself now thinking of you and wondering how you are today especially. I just wanted to say you are in my thoughts now, together with dear little Marco, and I will keep checking in to see how you both are. Hope that's ok with you.
Barbara from the UK

hockeychic said...

Just recently found your blog (from your comment on Baldylocks' blog). So sorry to hear about Marco, keeping him in my thoughts and prayers and you too!

shauna said...

I found you through motherswithcancer and wanted you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I've read through your last few entries and have ached to read what you're enduring. I will continue to pray for both you and Marco.