Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's Confirmed; The Cancer is Back

I went to the doctor’s yesterday, they drew blood and my counts were even lower than the last time. So Dr. Cripe wanted to do a bone marrow biopsy to confirm that the Leukemia had returned (note to self; Bone Marrow Biopsy’s hurt like a you know what!!)
They told us to go home and they would call us back later in the day or tomorrow. We took some books back to the library and ran next door to Subway, we no more than sat down to eat and Katie (the nurse) called with the news. They are going to let me have Thanksgiving with my family, and I’ll be admitted to the hospital on Monday, I’ll be there for four weeks. I’m not sure if I’ll have access to a computer in the hospital, but if so I’ll update when I feel up to it.

The joke is… I feel fine. If I did not have routine blood draws, you wouldn’t even be able to tell that I’m sick. Although now I walk like an old woman, because my hip still REALLY hurts.

Rick and I went out this morning to get some Christmas shopping done, and I’ll buy a few more things this weekend. Just to make sure that the kids have something to open on Christmas. If everything goes well I might get out of the hospital in time for Christmas, to spend that time with them, but I won’t be able to go out in those crowds (to get any extra shopping done) due to my immune system being too weak. Tomorrow I’m going back to work (for one day) I only had three vacation days left, and my official medical leave will start on Monday. I probably won’t be able to sit for 8 hours, but I’ll do my best.

My cousins baby Marco was due to come home from the hospital on Monday, but he is running a fever, and needed oxygen so unfortunately he has to stay in the hospital for a little longer. They diagnosed him with ALL (Leukemia). He will have to take chemo for three years, but he should be fine. Over 90% of children with this type of cancer are able to be cured. But please keep his family in your prayers, they are already having a tough time financially, and then add a sick child to that. That’s enough to discourage anybody, but their family is behind them and will see them through this.

Keep my husband and children in your prayers also. My husband is already having a hard time with the diagnosis, and my son Ricky is already starting to cling to me I probably got 50 kisses before he walked out the door for school this morning, and he hugged me forever.

15 comments:

Christina said...

Hi
I either know of your blog through Jennifer Willey's blog or Ronni's blog. I got their blogs through somebody that I met in California when I did a Leukemia&Lymphoma Society marathon.
And so it goes in the blog world...
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I'll be praying for you, Rick, and your children.
I'm sorry that the stinkin' cancer came back...
-Chri from Maryland

Anonymous said...

Not sure how I found you - but I did. And the tears are flowing as I read this latest post. I will surely keep you all in my prayers, especially your children and little Marco who doesn't have a clue what is going on. Positive thoughts and prayers are coming your way...

Laura

Ronni Gordon said...

So sorry to read this post. I know what you mean about feeling fine. It's so frustrating. I felt fine when I relapsed but when I told my doctor, he said that in a little while, without treatment, I would not be feeling fine. So you (and I and many others) are lucky to be watched so carefully and to have it caught early. Remember, leukemia is curable! What a drag to go through it all again, but they'll fix you up again!

militia207 said...

If it makes you feel any better Monday I return back to the hospital for 04 weeks ( includes Christmas ) at the Hospital Of the University of Pennsylvania. I found out after a bone marrow biopsy that my leukemia is back to AML stage. Eventually I will get a bone marrow transplant My prayers and thoughts are with you

militia207

Kim W said...

I found your blog by way of Derrick Dull's Blog,
(http://djdully.blogspot.com/) After 106 days after his bone marrow, his cancer has returned as well. It has been a very difficult time for him and our community as well.
I can not even imagine what you, a mother and a wife, are going through. I will keep you in my thoughts and Prayers. May Gods touch give you comfort and keep you safe.

Blessings,
Kim Wilson
Mother of 7 and Nana of Addison Grace 5/12/08

Irish Eyes said...

I am so sorry, that really stinks. I am praying for you, your family and Marco and his family. I do hope someone can update your blog from time to time. God bless you and keep you in His arms, may you find comfort and healing there. We are praying for you.
sharon

Anonymous said...

I have seen and read so many testimonies from people who opted for a naturalpath doctor and adjusted there diet instead of Chemo.
The American diet is full of issues and the food crops let alone everything is laced with sugar which feeds the cancer cells.These cells are mutant and respond to the self distruct signal with the right diet..That may include Herbs and Lemon Grass which is used in Israel now an Flor-Essence tea which must be used before Chemo.Doctors are now stating that Chemo does not work.
Recently a org in Canada came up with a way to Cure Cancer and it is not expensive and WORKS. IMO~Seek some additional advice before allowing these doctors to do you more damage

BaldyLocks said...

I'm so sorry. What terrible news. I'm sending my love to you and your family. I really hope someone can keep your blog updated on how you are doing. I paid for dial-up when I was in the hospital and it was a bit frustrating but well worth it.

I hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving with your family.

toddlerplanet said...

My heart goes out to you -- and your husband and children -- today. You've been in my thoughts and will continue to be in my prayers.

Love to you and to baby Marco and his family too.

Susan C said...

This really sucks! So sorry to hear the news, though I know you knew it was coming. Wishing you and your family strength and closeness during the next few months.

Duane said...

I'm so sorry. I can't believe it . . . and just before the holidays. I wish I could be more articulate right now. Please know that I and so many others are thinking of you. I'll be checking in again very soon.

Love to you and your family.

B-Optimistic said...

Take things one day at a time and before you know it, you'll be home once again with your family on the path to improved health. None of us can say for certain that our cancer will not return; but you are so right about the benefits of close monitoring!!

B-Optimistic!!

Imstell said...

I just got the news. I'm so sorry. I'll be holding you and yours up in prayer for a full recovery.

luccy said...

Dieting and physical exercises can help you in shedding your weight to a certain extent but if your BMI (Body Mass Index) is 30 or exists above this value, you need to take extra measures for adequate relief from the shackles of obesity. However, Phentermine, Adipex etc are FDA approved diet pills that suppress your appetite effectively and assist you to lose weight once you fall in the grip of obesity. Phentermine should be administered only after getting hold of a Phentermine prescription from the doctor and for more details on the medicine, visit the website http://www.weight-loss-truths.com

Amanda said...

I love you.