Friday, October 03, 2008

Three year Cancer - Anniversary




Well it’s official; I’ve made it three years since being diagnosed with cancer. It hasn’t been the easiest road by any means but all in all any price that I’ve had to pay was well worth it for the opportunity to be given the gift of another day. So instead of going into all the in’s and out’s of being diagnosed with the big “C”, I thought I’d share some personal thoughts.

More than anything I’ve been blessed with the insight of what a day can bring.

A day can bring a phone call from your very panicked doctor warning you, “That whatever you do, do not go to work this morning, we need you to go to the hospital for more blood work, we think you have Leukemia.”

A day can bring 40 people (whom you’ve never met) into your house carrying armloads of groceries and Christmas presents for your children, while you are sick.

A day can bring a family back together, or tear it apart.

A day can bring a new baby into your life, or take your Grandmother away.

A day can bring you a walk in the park, with your husband and children. When your six year old son notices that his mommy is have problems with the hills and stays behind to let mommy hold his hand so she doesn’t fall…

So I’ve decided to take this next year One Day at a Time. (Not that there is any other way that you can take it.) But I’m not going to let things worry me or stress me out. I’m going to really focus on enjoying the moment. Taking a few minutes for myself everyday and not feel guilty about it, and I’m going to make an effort to spend more time with extended family members, because all too often we get tied up with our lives and our own kids and don’t make time for others.

Those words One Day at a Time remind me of an elderly lady from church when I was a kid, she was almost blind, and her favorite song was One Day at a Time. She rarely spoke to anyone, I think that she was very shy, but on the way home from church if you asked, she would always sing that song for us. The chorus of that song goes like this:

One day at a time sweet Jesus
That’s all I’m asking from you
Just give me the strength
To do everyday what I have to do
Yesterdays gone sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine
Lord help me today, show me the way
One day at a time.

So this is how I’m going to live the rest of my life, be it a day, or fifty more years. Not wasting my time worrying about things that happened in my past, and not taking for granted that I’ll ever see tomorrow. But by doing the best I can, for the people that I love while I’m still here.

4 comments:

BaldyLocks said...

Congratulations on reaching the 3 year mark!

That photo of you is really gorgeous!

Ronni Gordon said...

Congratulations on reaching three years. You look great. I have to keep reminding myself to stay on message: One day at a time!

Kirsten said...

You have a great attitude!

Nicole said...

what a great post. i am coming up on my 1 year anniversary of my diagnosis and i came across your blog during my search for celebration ideas.

you have a great outlook...and its helpful to know that the road ahead doesn't have to be as scary as the road thus far.

happy healing!