Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Poor kid...

Angel, Shelby, Courtney


My best friend’s daughter (Angel) fell off of her push scooter last week and broke both bones in her left forearm. She had surgery this past Monday to have two rods and one metal plate put in. I feel so sorry for her. Imagine being 13 years old and all of the sudden you need help doing even the most basic things, such as washing your hair etc… On Thursday after the swelling goes down from her surgery, she will have a cast put on from her knuckles just up to her armpit, just in time for summer vacation. She will have to deal with this pretty much up until school starts back up. They live 5 minutes from the beach, and they have a pool in their community, and she can’t swim all summer long. For a kid that really has to suck…

I’m having a wisdom tooth removed on Friday; let me tell you it hurts soooo bad. I’ve had issues with it for about two weeks, and tomorrow (the day before the surgery) I can’t take Ibuprofen, Tylenol or anything, I don’t know how I’m going to make it. Rick is taking off of work to take me up there and kind of take care of me all day, which I plan on sleeping it off, if nothing else at least I have great drugs from having cancer (which I hardly ever use, but for this I will make an acceptation) I hate going to the dentist… with a passion!!

Khrystyne has found a job, she will start this week, and it is perfect it’s right down the street (within walking distance) so if we’re not home she can hoof it!! She is pretty excited about starting the next phase of her life, we have decided to let her drop out of school (she would be starting her senior year with 17 credits out of 41), but she will be enrolling in the local GED program this fall instead. It is not what I had in mind for her when she was little, but for her I think this is the right choice. She has dealt with learning disabilities since before she started school, and has struggled all the way. She seems much happier that we have agreed to let her do this, and excited to be getting on with it.

I still haven’t spoken with my sister, every time I think about what she said I still get furious!! I know at some point I will have to deal with it, but not today…

Please stop by Why Mommy and offer some support, she just had bone scans done they think her cancer may have metastasized. I guess that’s why we are all here to share our stories, and to offer support when we can.

1 comment:

Susan Carrier said...

The definition of a "good mom" certainly changes over the years, doesn't it?

A good mom has the ability to let go of expectations that may not be right for her child. A good mom understands her child's strengths and weaknesses. A good mom is you!