Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Weekend Update.

Ok, so I had a really good experience at camp this past weekend. I enjoyed catching up with past campers, and even got to know a few new ones. Rick and the kids came up for family night (minus Khrys, she was at prom); Ricky and Breanna had a blast!!! They tore up the Candy dishes, and they love playing Bingo. You wouldn’t think that a five and eight year old would LOVE bingo but they do.

We did yard work on Sunday. Man it really needed it. We put in new plants, took out the dead ones, and put weed killer on our grass!!! It was starting to be overrun with dandelions.

Yesterday I went to see my oncologist for my quarterly check-up, normally when he comes in to give me my results; he kind of runs in, “Hi, how you doing? Everything looks fine see you in three months!” Yesterday not so much; he came into the office with his nurse Katie, they both took a seat, and he asked me, “So how are you feeling?” I told him that I was feeling fine. Then he said, “Well when we tried to get a smear of your blood it wouldn’t take, we had to do it three or four times before we could get it. We don’t quite know what that means, but everything looked fine.” ???????? WTF does that mean??????

Me: Well actually there have been a few things lately that I wanted to mention, I’m not sure if it means anything. I keep getting a pain in the right side of my head and in between my shoulder blade that feels like someone is stabbing me. My finger tips keep going numb, not for a little while either for hours sometimes 7-8 hours. I can’t keep my balance either.

Dr. Cripe and Katie both look at each other????

He comes over and pushes on my spine in between my shoulders, and then he pushes my head down (and asked if it hurt) then he had me turn my head to the left and then to the right while he pushed down. Then he said, “It sounds like you could have a spinal cord disease, who is your family doctor? You are going to have to have an MRI done. I’ll send him a note, and we’ll go from there.”

GREAT!!

We leave the cancer pavilion and head home everything is fine until about an hour later I could not lift my arm or turn my neck; nothing… and I was in so much PAIN!! All from him just touching and pushing on me.

I emailed Katie this morning with all of my family doctors info and asked her to send the letter to him as soon as possible, then I explained what happened last night. She called me an hour later and said that Dr. Cripe doesn’t want to wait that long and had her schedule me in for an MRI tomorrow morning. She said, “I hope the time will work for you.” I told her that I would make it work. So after the MRI they will call and let me know what on earth is wrong with me now!!!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot I got the distinct pleasure of going to court yesterday over medical bills!!! Thankfully I had copies of the checks where I had already paid these bills, so I didn’t have to go before a judge. Thank God!! I should get a release of debt in the next 30 days through the mail. Until the next time that is… We are drowning in medical debt. It really is a shame that insurance isn’t as good as it should be. Out of all of my medical bills my insurance has paid 2/3; I’m still responsible for 1/3 (which now is over $100,000.00). Good luck to them with trying to collect all of that!! I can’t give them what we don’t even make…

Anyway, all in all I had a really good weekend. My husband managed to get off from work on Saturday, and we just had a really good time hanging out with the kids. I got to hang out with some pretty amazing cancer survivors, I got to do some much needed yard work, and I’m pretty well rested, so what more can you ask for?

3 comments:

Obsessedwithlife said...

Sending prayers your way!

Becky..AMHW said...

I came here to comment on your last post. I wanted to mull around the difficulties you've been having with your daughter before I commented. My oldest son is a difficult boy.

I was happy to see your oldest daughter would be fine, but that's sort of trumped by today's post.

My thoughts are with you.

Susan Carrier said...

Cancer is an expensive disease. Treatments cost thousands of dollars and can quickly sap your patients' financial health.

Among the most onerous burdens are the rising prescription drug co-pays and insurance premiums that are out of reach for many. The Society, taking these challenges seriously, recently launched a Co-Pay Assistance Program to help qualified patients cope with mounting insurance costs.

The new program is available to patients with myeloma, lymphoma, myelodysplastic syndromes or acute myelogenous leukemia. The Society will provide financial support of up to $1,000 per person for patients whose income is at or within four times the federal poverty level.

For more information about the new Co-Pay Program, please have your patients or their families visit www.lls.org/copay; or they can call (877) 557-2672, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET. Patients may also email inquiries to copay@lls.org and fax completed applications to (877) 267-2932.