Friday, March 14, 2008

The Tumor has to go...

I took Khrys to the oncologist on Wednesday, they sent a student doctor in first (IU Medical is a teaching hospital, and one of the best in my opinion). He left to confer with Dr. Goulet, when they came back into the room they brought two more students and the nurse (I guess they don’t see (breast) tumors in 17 year olds that often). Dr. Goulet said, “So you want this thing taken out, huh?” to which Khrystyne replied, “Yes, It’s driving me crazy!” So he examined her and said, “OK we can do that.” The nurse started rattling off how to schedule the surgery, and the doctor looked over at me and said, “It has gotten a lot bigger since November.” He asked her if she just wanted a local or if she wanted to be put out, and of course she replied that she did not want to be awake. He just laughed and told his nurse to get it scheduled.

So sometime in April, Khrystyne will have the tumor in her breast removed. They did an initial biopsy in November and at the time it was begin, they will have to do another biopsy again after the surgery to make sure that it has not turned cancerous, but I have faith that everything will be alright. I’m not nearly the wreck that I was last fall when she first found the tumor.

After we talked awhile the nurse took us back for a blood draw, and I had to talk Khrys all the way through it (she like many others is not a fan AT ALL of needles). She gave us some brochures on what to expect for the surgery. After we left the hospital, on the drive home we were talking about her requesting to be put all the way under, I told her that if she could be awake for the surgery it would be so much better for her. At first she didn’t want to hear it, but I think that I have talked her into just having a local (she wants to be awake to see the tumor). Whatever works I guess!! Back in November her tumor was almost 3 inches long, I don’t even want to think how much larger it is now.

Shortly after our conversation I hit a small pot hole (Indiana for you) and Khrystyne yells OW!! Of course I look over really quick to see what is wrong, and she is holding her arm and says, “My arm hurts where they drew the blood from.” OMG!!! Please feel sorry for me now, because her surgery will be a TREAT!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you and Khrystyne ... I hope it goes easily and well for her!

- WhyMommy at Toddler Planet

Especially Heather said...

I second what WhyMommy said, you and your daughter are in my prayers! I am new to your blog, but really enjoyed my time here.

-H