Friday, February 01, 2008

Why?

Well so much for me hoping for a peaceful evening. I got home Wednesday evening, hung out with the kids for awhile and got them off to bed. I usually hang out downstairs until Rick gets home at night, and I had just started dozing in and out when the phone rang… My mom was at the other end and she jumped right into her story, I stopped her and told her to start over that I didn’t understand what she was saying. She said that (my cousin) Dwayne had killed his daughter Jordan (Boogie) and then he killed himself. Of course to say the very least that woke me right up, I said, “What do you mean, he killed Boogie? What are you saying?” She went on to tell me that two weeks ago Jordan came home and told her dad that, “Mommy took me to her boyfriends house and they were hugging and kissing like you and mommy do.” So he confronted his wife about the affair, and she admitted it and told him that she wanted a divorce, and full custody of Jordan. He has been trying to talk her into going marriage counseling, or to at the very least to give him joint custody of Jordan. I guess Wednesday she was supposed to let him know if she would agree to marriage counseling or if she just wanted to get a divorce. He went home early from work, and I guess she told him that she wanted a divorce and that she was going to take Jordan and move into her boyfriends house, they got into an argument and then she left around 3:00 pm. Somewhere between 4-4:30 Jordan got home from school and by 5pm Ginger, her mother and Ginger’s two other children came home. Mom told me that Johnny (her son) came running out of the bedroom yelling call 911 it’s really, really bad. (He is partially mentally handicapped so he probably didn’t understand fully what had happened). Dwayne had shot Jordan with a riffle, and then turned the gun on himself.

Today I am still in disbelief; I would have never guessed that he would have been someone to do something like this in a million years. He loved that baby; he was always hugging her and kissing her, ruffling her hair. And anytime that he spoke about her he would grin from ear to ear. What could have possibly been going through his head, for him to point a gun at his child (someone that he loved sooo much) and then kill her? You can’t help but to think what that poor baby had to have been thinking at that moment when her father was pointing a riffle at her?

After I hung up from my mother I called Rick, and he said I’ll be home in a few minutes. He was home in like seven minutes; he works all the way across town. He was trying to be strong for me, but every few minutes he was wiping away tears as well. Dwayne was his friend; he really was a good man. All you had to do was just mention that something was coming up and he would volunteer to help out. Dwayne was a little slow mentally, he had learning disabilities, but he was always in a good mood, always joking and laughing. We just don’t understand what happened… WHY?

My mother had seen something on the previews for the news that there was a murder on Fletcher Ave., she told her husband Terry, “That’s close to where Dwayne and Ginger live.” Terry said, “You know, Dwayne was supposed to be here already.” So they started calling him with no answer, which was unusual. So they jumped into their car and went over there. And their house was the one already taped off by police. There were news crews set up, and my mom asked them what was going on? One of the reporters said that the man in the house had killed his 8 year old son, and then killed himself. My mom said, “SON?” “She’s a girl, not a boy.” I guess they had been told the name Jordan and assumed that she was a boy. So then they ran home and called Terry’s sister Donna in Tennessee (Dwayne’s mother) and told her over the phone that her son and granddaughter were dead. She had just lost her youngest son a few years ago, he had just turned 18 and was driving home late at night and drove off of the side of a mountain. As they were telling Donna about Dwayne, her oldest son Jeremy had just come into her house because it was his birthday, and his mother had to tell him that his brother and niece were both dead.

So Donna, Dwayne and Jeremy are all on their way here to make arraignments for Dwayne. And we are all here just wondering why? We have a large family, why didn’t he ask for help? Why did he have to kill that little girl? Because I’ll tell you one thing NO ONE saw this coming!!! NO ONE!!

Now here’s part of the story that didn’t make it into the news. Ginger told her son Johnny that he needed to find a job and find somewhere else to live. (He has just turned 18, but is still in high school and mentally handicapped) and Ginger has been trying to talk her 16 year old daughter Kayla to move in with her boyfriend, but she didn’t want to, so Ginger was talking to Kayla’s boyfriend trying to get him to talk Kayla into moving in with him. So that all she had when she moved into her boyfriend’s house was Jordan. I guess Dwayne told Jordan’s babysitter that it would happen over his dead body. Of course she was on the news and said that she never thought that he’d meant it literally. To me that’s a figure of speech, who would have thought that he meant it that way?? I just hope that that poor woman doesn’t think that this was in some part her fault, because Lord knows it wasn’t.

Breanna and Jordan were the same age, my mom used to baby-sit for both of them, and they would stay the night at her house. Jordan was Breanna’s first friend. I just don’t have the heart to tell her. I know that I probably should, but I just can’t. Especially given the way she died, and at her own father’s hands. I just can’t do it.

I’ll update when I find out more.

Rest in Peace Jordan.

Rest in Peace Dwayne.

Lord please give us the strength to get though this.


http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008801310488

6 comments:

Aimee said...

Oh my! What awful news! I'll be praying for you and your family through this horrible, horrible time.

Becky..Absent Minded Housewife said...

Wow, just wow. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Susan Carrier said...

This is such a heart-breaking story. I am so sorry for what you and your family must be going through.

bella said...

this is so troubling and upsetting.
the only natural response is shock.
My prayers go out to you and your whole family during this time.

One Mother with Cancer said...

Thank you all for your heart felt comments...

cheap online Brimonidine Tartrate said...

Hi Everybody,
You really did a great job. I found your blog very interesting and very informative. I think your blog is great information source & I like your way of writing and explaining the topics. Keep it up. I'm going to follow your blog.