Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Memories



I found this picture recently; it was taken the first week that I got to come home from the hospital after being diagnosed (a three week stay). Then I remembered this story, this was after my second round of Chemo and an infection:

I was at the grocery store with my 3 yr old son. It was obvious that I had cancer, I had no hair, and (I was going through chemo at the time) so my skin tone was gray, I just looked sick. An older lady walked up to me out of nowhere and started talking to me and asking me questions. She asked me if I had cancer, what kind I had. Then she shared her story with me of how she lost her sister to breast cancer the previous year and how close they were. Before she walked away she told me that she felt lead to give me a hug, and asked me if that would be alright. It was a little strange but I told her that it was okay. That little old lady hugged me with everything that she had, I could feel it. It brought tears to my eyes, and later I realized that I really needed that hug. I had been so focused on my husband and children, making sure that they were alright I forgot about myself. That woman did more for me that day than she could ever have imagined. And I’m thankful that even though we didn’t know each other she followed her instinct and reached out to me.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I love stories like this, that remind me that humanity can be found in the most unexpected of places. :) Thanks for letting me know about Locks of Love, too.... :)