Friday, November 24, 2006

Things that I'm thankful for...

Ricky & his Uncle Charlie
Ricky & cousins hiding.
Granny and some of the food!!!
I didn’t have access to a computer yesterday but I wanted to list some of the things for which I a thankful for.

I’m thankful that God has allowed me to be here one more year. I’m thankful that so many prayers were heard last year, and I have been allowed to get one more year older, and was able to spend one more year with my family. I am thankful that I was fortunate enough to be by Judy’s side when she lost her battle with cancer, and that I was by my husbands’ side when he lost his mother. I am so thankful that I have four beautiful children who I fought so hard to be here for, and that every day since my diagnoses they have had the opportunity to have their mother in their lives, and they were spared the heartbreak of losing their mother at such a young age. I’m thankful for a husband who adores me, and would do absolutely anything in this world for me.
I’m thankful for my family, even though they sometimes drive me nuts; I know that they would always be there for me no matter what. I’m thankful for my friends especially Ange, and I am so thankful to God that I was able to be there the night Shelby was born. I’m thankful for the everyday things, that my husband and I both have jobs, that we have a nice house, food on the table, clothes on our backs, and Love in our hearts.

I’m also thankful for the strangers that came out of the woodwork last year, people that we did not even know would drop dinners off for Rick and the kids while I was in the hospital, they offered to help with the kids if we ever needed them too. They brought us groceries, and strangers even bought our kids Christmas last year. I just hope that someday we will be able to give back what was so freely given to us.

Most importantly (and trust me I know this is weird), but I am so thankful for people who donate their blood. I lost count of all of the blood transfusions that I had last year, but at last count I was at 60 blood transfusions. I can honestly say after that experience I am truly sorry that I had never done my civic duty and donated blood. It could have benefited so many people, and now that I know how important it is I’m no longer able to donate, because I’ve had cancer of the blood I’ll never be allowed to donate blood. Last month my husband’s work had a blood drive and he thought back to me having all of those transfusions, so he stood in line to donate, only to be told that he could not (because he lived in Germany in the Army during the years of the mad cow disease so he was not allowed to give blood) he was so disappointed. So I’m asking anyone who reads this blog to become a regular blood donor it is so important. And for everyone who already gives their time, and blood; from a mother of four, and a cancer survivor, THANK YOU.

*********************************************************
Well we made it through our first Thanksgiving since Judy had passed. It was a little rough at times, Rick was very shaken (and cried) a few times, but he did really well. We went to Granny’s house first the menu was as follows:

Turkey
Ham
Mashed Potato’s
Stuffing
Gravy
Green Beans (canned from the garden YUM!)
Corn (the same as Green Beans)
Cole Slaw (Homemade)
Deviled Eggs
Cranberry Sauce
Baked Beans
Potato Salad
Chicken & Dumplings
Rolls with butter
8-9 pies
3-4 cakes
Fudge (peanut butter & chocolate)
Homemade Candies

We will just say here and now there was no room left in our stomachs after we left her house.

Little Ricky got to hang out with his cousins, and his Uncle Charlie (he loves that guy). He really likes hanging out with his cousins because he is the only boy at our house, and he is not yet in school, so he had a blast. The girls all had fun yesterday, except for Khrystyne she was pretty sick all day, I gave her some Nyquil and sent her to bed when we finally went home, but I checked on her at midnight and she was burning up with fever so I gave her some medicine and took her temperature it was 101, not too bad but still enough to make you feel like shit. She was better this morning.

After we left Granny’s we went to my step-dad’s family dinner, they were just starting to eat when we got there and they kept saying get yourself something to eat!! We were already stuffed, so we stayed outside for a while shooting B-ball. Then we were talked into getting some food. Let’s just say no one can cook like Granny, and we’ll leave it at that.

I had made Jim (Judy’s boyfriend) a plate when we were at Granny’s so we took that down to him, he was really happy to see the kids. He really misses Judy… He started talking about how much he really missed her, and Rick had to walk out he had started crying again. But that is to be expected. It is going to take awhile.

On the way home we stopped and rented some movies, not really thinking that Gray’s Anatomy was on last night… and you know I can’t miss that. Oh well at least we’ll have some movies to watch this weekend.

I had to work today, it’s the first day after Thanksgiving that I’ve had to work in five years, it is soooo boring, and it made me miss out on Black Friday. Last year I missed it because I was in the hospital being treated for Leukemia, but the year before that we hit a huge sale at Target, and got almost two carts FULL of stuff for $300.00. Which believe it or not that’s a really good deal.

I hope all of you had a nice Thanksgiving, and I hope that you took a few minutes out of your day to think about what it is that you have to be thankful for.

1 comment:

Mrs. Chicken said...

I understand the blood donor thing. I wasn't able to donate blood for my father when he had cancer because we lived in England during Mad Cow. It broke my heart. I would have given him every last drop.

I'm glad you are beating this disease. Happy holiday.